Firefighters extinguished a fire inside a home in the 1100 block of Noria Street on Wednesday morning after a gas heater caused a piece of plastic to ignite.

The home is going through a remodel, and the fire began just outside the master bathroom in the two-story home, Laguna Beach Fire Capt. Andrew Hill said. No one was hurt, he added.

A contractor inside the house attempted to put out the fire, but there was too much smoke and the person called 911, Hill said. Four engines from Laguna Beach Fire Department and one Orange County truck responded to the home shortly before 9 a.m.

"There was heavy smoke upstairs," Hill said. "We had a hose upstairs for a majority of the work to make sure the fire didn't spread to the attic."

Hill said he did not know how many people were in the home at the time of the fire.

A building inspector could not be reached for comment about the amount of damage.

—Bryce Alderton

Twitter: @aldertonbryce