A dryer fire at a Costa Mesa laundromat temporarily closed the business Monday morning, officials said.

Costa Mesa firefighters received a call about the fire at 9:31 a.m. Monday from Sudz Laundry Center at 2400 Newport Blvd., according to Battalion Chief Fred Seguin.

A woman who worked at the laundromat called firefighters after putting out some of the fire with an extinguisher, and firefighters were on scene within three minutes, Seguin said.

Once there, firefighters spotted smoke coming out of the business and its roof.

Three fire engines, two trucks and a battalion chief, for a total of 21 firefighters, responded to the scene, Seguin said.

No one was injured in the blaze. Damage to the business was estimated at about $5,000.

Authorities determined mechanical failure of the dryer caused the blaze.

— Lauren Williams

Twitter: @lawilliams30